William Backhouse Astor

Several gravesites for the Astor family can be found on the grounds of Trinity Church Cemetery & Mausoleum's "uptown" location. This one contains the remains of William Backhouse Astor, son of John Jacob Astor, who died in 1875.

The cemetery, which affords views of the Hudson River, was established in 1842 by the parish of Trinity Church after burials were prohibited in Lower Manhattan because of dangerous and overcrowded conditions in city cemeteries doe to severe cholera, yellow fever, and typhoid outbreaks.